FAPEFE engaged in activities related to Environmental Education for All (EEA) in 1997. It seeks to reach out to children in nursery and primary schools in Cameroon especially in the central region of the country. This program targets 80,000 children and 50,000 teachers in the central region of Cameroon (Yaounde, Mfou, Mbalmayo, Obala). So far, we have only been operating in the central province. With the support of FAPEFE, the children of the Noula School have been able to visit the Mefou National Park and Mvog-Betsi Zoo-Botanical Garden, where they learn about the conservation and protection of their environment.
Our Objectives Are:
- To strengthen the knowledge base and create a strong sense of awareness on environmental issues among school children, and thus empower communities to reduce poverty through sustainable development
- Change the attitudes/behaviors vis-a-vis the environment and instill a sense of responsibility for protecting the environment by involving them in beautifying the school landscape and increasing their awareness of the ecological value of their surroundings
- Our EEA will contribute to the implementation of the seventh Millennium Development Goal: "to ensure environmental sustainability;" as well as Goal Number 2: "to achieve universal primary education by 2015, by ‘integrating conservation and sustainable use into education programs (formal and non-formal) through the provision of education opportunities that particularly target communities that are poor and overly dependent on natural resources.'"
The program also addresses and promotes the following:
The consumption of farmed animals as an alternative to bush meat, especially bush meat from primates;
Joining in environment activities such as tree /flower planting;
Responsible disposal of rubbish and waste
Knowledge of Cameroon’s wildlife/environmental legislation
- To teach, restore and preserve the richness of our environment through outreach to children, their parents and teachers, through schools and home schooling.
- To nurture their sense of wonder, imagination, and creativity
- Provide children with a sense of beauty, calm, and refuge in a sometimes frightening world
Activities Related to this Program
- Capacity Building Workshop
- Creation of Environmental Clubs in school
- Production of poster, and manual for teachers and children
- Pedagogical visit to Wildlife Centre and Botanic Garden to learn about preservation and conservation
- Tree and Flower planting exercise in different schools, communities and public places such as the hospitals, market places etc
- Essay, poetry and arts competition among schools
- Pupils are able to identify the major environmental problems within their school/ communities and the role they can play as key agents of change.
- Children become role models within their schools/communities, and recommend actions that will help in attaining the aims and objectives.
- Pupils are recognized as effective partners and key stakeholders in promoting sustainable development through effective Environmental Education within the Center Region of Cameroon and beyond.
- Create awareness within the communities through the school and community programs.
- Ensure massive participation of pupils at all levels in sustainable development programs
- Determination to recognize and overcome obstacles that prevent pupils and other citizens to participate fully in sustainable development project through effective Environmental Education for All (EEA)
- Empowerment of pupils through capacity building to empower their peers.
- Increased determination for pupils to act as role models within their schools/communities and as effective future environmental leaders.
- Providing a platform for individuals to identify groups and resources to carry out networking activities.